Tuesday, January 10, 2012

"Nurse Judy! I think I have a problem with my siotic nerve."

Today, like most other days, Emily got sick. She asked me to go with her to InstaCare because she was positive she had a fever, so off we went. Once we arrived the nurse came in and checked her vitals.
And wouldn't you know it, this chick doesn't even have a fever. The moment the nurse leaves the room I started hassling Emily about how it is all in her head and she is not sick. 
She didn't like the sass I was giving her. "It is not in my head, I am sick! Just you wait, if it's strep throat I swear!" Once me and Emily had exchanged a few more sharp comments the doctor came in. He gets right into it by asking Emily about her symptoms, she explains all about the congestion in her nose and headaches.
"How about any coughing?"
"No I haven't been coughing at all."
"So it's all just in your head then?"
Emily's faced dropped and she shot me a look that seemed to say, how could you and the doctor be turning on me like this? How did you get him on your side?
The doctor then waits a second for Emily to reply but after a few moments of silence he says, "The congestion, it's all just in your head then?" As I watched relief flood over Emily's face I couldn't contain myself. I mean there I am sitting in a doctors office with Emily as though I am her mom witnessing, what is now, one of my favorite Emily moments. Unbelievable. 
Once that fiasco was out of the way the doc got out his stethoscope to listen to Em's heart beat. Once the stethoscope is placed over her heart, right on cue, she takes a deep breath in and out. Even the doctor smiled at this, then moved the stethoscope to her back and asked if she would go ahead and take a deep breath again. Oh Emily, thinking the doctor was listening to her lungs through her heart. 
Nothing left to do now but run a Strep test, the extreme gagging noise Emily made when they collected the culture will haunt my dreams tonight. 
 The test was run and confirmed, this little lady has Strep. When she found out she threw her hands in the air and reclined back in her seat, "You have got to be kidding me!"




8 comments:

Karli said...

Emily goes to insta care more than anyone I know! And she always has strep. I'm just waiting for the "Emily gets her tonsils out" post.

Valerie said...

Can't you go to the campus medical place for free as a student?

Pat said...

Exactly! The health center is free, free , free!

Emily said...

It was closed! and there was no way I could go today. I needed medicine and I needed it fast

Andrea said...

I read this post right as my 8 PM class was starting - it was just what I needed to get through the next 2 1/2 hours. Poor Em, didn't you just get over strep?

Talia Jensen said...

poor emily. at least your sweater is killer! get well soon boo!

Amy Bateman said...

I do not support Em's ridiculous platform of wanting to get her tonsils out. I do feel terrible she didn't conquer strep...yet.

Pat said...

Listen, Emily your outfit that day was to die for! I had my
tonsils out at age 21 because I had staph throat infections constantly my jr year of college. It was not pleasant but it cured me. Go for it Morgan can check you in to the hospital.